Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Aloha! We're back in Kona!


Saturday we spent the day in the park. We took a 4 mile hike down into Kilauea Iki ("Little Kilauea") Crater. This is off the larger crater and was formed by the eruption in 1959. We saw the Pu'u Loa Petroglyphs in one of the very old lava fields. In the evening we went down to see the area where the lava is flowing into the ocean. The viewing area is a few miles away, but at night, the glowing red flumes of steam are quite spectacular! Looking up to the hillside, one can see glittering orange and red spots where lava is making its way down the slope. It's such a treat to experience these things with the kids. Nature really is the ultimate playground and sometimes I really can see more and different things through their eyes.

This lava experience is of sharp contrast to my last visit, 19 years ago.
My dad and I took a 2 day trip over here from Kauai. That was during the fresh flows of the early 90's and you could practically walk up to stuff and poke it with a stick. Location is everything, I suppose, even with lava! Yesterday, I had my first banana. Yeah. Those yellow things they sell in the market? Those aren't bananas. Real bananas are about half the size and look like they're over-ripe when they're good. (These aren't as ugly as plantains). Forget TM. I reached the 4th level of human consciousness with just one of these little gems!
Today, we're going to the beach, go back to Kona Brewery for lunch, and a luau tonight. The timeshare place we are staying is very pleasant. It's an older complex. And by older, I mean the buildings were probably some of the first condos in Kona. Oh, and by older, I would also say it's the "Del Bocca Vista" of Kona. I just might join in with the 3pm Penuchle tourney tomorrow! It's all fun!
Photos:
1) Halema'uma'u Crater (Pele's residence)inside Kilauea Caldera
2) Kilauea Iki Crater floor
3) Inside the Volcano Visitors Center

No comments: